~ABOUT US~

Our Venues

Greta Workers Club

Greta is a small town on the New England Hwy between Maitland & Singleton.  It is notable for its large median strip (the town’s High Street runs adjacent to the New England Highway), an impressive collection of historic buildings which line the main road & Greta Army & Migrant Camp. They were obviously built as the town grew in importance both as a coal mining town and a travellers stopping point on the road to Singleton and the New England area.  Greta Migrant Camp is located 3km from the township of Greta, built for the Australian Army in 1939.  The Army occupied the site until early 1949 when the Australian Agreement with the International Refugee Organisation (IRO) to bring displaced persons from Europe, was put into action.

The Origin of the name Greta came from when the town was surveyed in 1842 it was named Greta.  It is assumed that the name came from a small river in Cumberland England.

Situated just minutes up the road from Greta Workers Sports & Recreation Club.  An infamous road sign on one approach to the town states that Branxton has “two cemeteries an no Hospital”.  The sign, erected by the local Lions Club, is meant to act as a deterrent to rule breaking motorists. The small town of Branxton is located on the main Northern Railway Line & has its own railway station.

The origin of Branxton’s name came when in 1848, the small village back then called  Black Creek was subdivided and the land sold.  Fearing that Black Creek would not attract potential buyers, the name was changed to Branxton after a tiny village in Northumberland, close to the English-Scottish border

Miller Park Sports Club

Situated just minutes up the road from Greta Workers Sports & Recreation Club. An infamous road sign on one approach to the town states that Branxton has “two cemeteries an no Hospital”. The sign, erected by the local Lions Club, is meant to act as a deterrent to rule breaking motorists. The small town of Branxton is located on the main Northern Railway Line & has its own railway station.

The origin of Branxton’s name came when in 1848, the small village back then called Black Creek was subdivided and the land sold. Fearing that Black Creek would not attract potential buyers, the name was changed to Branxton after a tiny village in Northumberland, close to the English-Scottish border

Scroll to Top